Friday, April 22, 2011

What I'm Actually Doing at Law School

1. 127 Hours: I'd been putting off watching it because the thought of watching one guy on camera for one and a half hours, albeit a guy stuck between 2 cliffs with his hand lodged behind a giant rock, struck me as having the possibility of being highly boring. I couldn't have been more wrong. Riveting movie. WATCH IT.

2. Black Swan: Pure genius. Darren Aronofsky shows his brilliance once again. Had it been up to me, I would easily have given this Best Picture Oscar. DO NOT MISS IT, unless you have a weak mind. There were times when I actually physically flinched.

3. True Grit: Slightly boring in parts but still worth a watch. Hailee Steinfeld, Matt Damon and Jeff Bridges shine in their performances.

4. The Social Network: Fast-paced and completely engrossing movie, simply excellent soundtrack and brilliant acting.

5. The King's Speech: Slow, which might be mistaken as boring for some. But period dramas require a slow pace. Colin Firth truly deserves Best Actor. Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter should have gotten Best Supporting, if you ask me. Excellent movie.

5. The Kids Are Alright: Good movie. Watch it if you can get your hands on it. Excellent performance by Annette Bening.

6. The Fighter: Excellent. Melissa Leo and Christian Bale shine. Mark Wahlberg in his element.

7. Happythankyoumoreplease: Josh Radnor's directorial and acting debut. Not bad.

8. Hot Fuzz: Lots of guns. Plus guys with English accents. What more could I ask for?

9. Ishqiya: Excellent. If Indian cinema takes a cue from this movie and follows its direction, I would be a much happier person.

10. Once: Little known movie. Irish man, Czech woman. Please try to get a hold of it and watch it. And once you're done, download the soundtrack.

11. Pineapple Express: Laughed out loud countless number of times in this movie. Typical Seth Rogen-James Franco flick. Watch it.

12. Rec: Spanish horror film. Do not make the same mistake I did and watch it alone at night.

13. Stranger than Fiction: Saw it recently for the second time. Obscure Emma Thomas-Will Ferell movie. Also stars Dustin Hoffman and Queen Latifah. PLEASE watch it. Excellent plotline, amazing execution.

14. The Butterfly Effect: Nice idea but I didn't think they carried it out as well as they could have. Watch it though, if only for the pop culture value.

6 comments:

Espèra said...

Ooh! I saw The Kids Are All Right yesterday. And you mean 'All Right', not 'Alright', cuz that's another movie :P

I was rather curious about the lesbian couple thing. I'd like to see one for real and compare it to how they were portrayed in the movie.

thegirlwithoneheart said...

Right! Sorry =D
I think it was pretty realistic. I mean the best thing is they didn't really preach or look down upon the whole thing, or highlight it unnecessarily. It was just there, something very normal and routine. Like, "so what if both of them are women?" =D

psychebubbles said...

Excellent choices! :)
I am dying to see Adjustment Bureau Though! :)

Espèra said...

The girl - yeah, I know what you mean. I also liked how it showed the whole 'women's sexuality is a wandering target' kind of thing.

By this time, I have also seen The King's Speech and Black Swan. Loved both. Black Swan got a little scary for me because I was watching it at 3 am, so I finished the movie the next day :P

Have you seen American Beauty? You should.

thegirlwithoneheart said...

@PsycheBubbles: Thanks! Saw Adjustment Bureau recently on a flight. Decent movie, not great or anything, but yeah it's a good effort. I liked the concept behind it.

@Espera: True. I don't think that's something that's explored sufficiently in movies. Labeling someone as lesbian or straight doesn't always work because sexuality can turn out to be deviant sometimes.
Ahaha. You interrupted Black Swan?! Tch tch.

And OF COURSE I've seen American Beauty! =P
Sam Mendes is brilliant, methinks. Great movie.

Espèra said...

I couldn't help it. It got scaa-ary :(

Yeah, American Beauty is so dark, I shiver to think of it.