Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Of salons and condescension

I went to get meself a haircut a couple of days back. (For anyone vella enough to actually be wondering what I look like now, you can go to my facebook and check it out. I'm too lazy to put a link up here right now.) It'd been a long time since I'd last been to one of those absolutely loathsome places they call salons, so I'd forgotten how much I despised it. Fortunately, (or unfortunately for me, I suppose) it made all the gruesome memories come flooding back.

First off, the staff has a tendency to cut you short. I suppose they were taught in whatever school hairstylists attend to never let a client finish a sentence. I was directed to a particular room to wait, and whenever I made the grave mistake of opening my mouth, I was told that all further matters would be discussed by the person who would ACTUALLY cut my hair. I had to breathe solely through my nostrils, therefore. Very uncomfortable, that.

After waiting for a period of what felt like eternity, the whole duration of which was spent ruefully thinking how I could have been contentedly watching Whose Line videos or Shane Dawson episodes on YouTube had I stayed home, I was finally beckoned inside, rather patronisingly, by a woman who evidently did not know how to speak, but only to wave her hands and jerk her head rather violently and with a complete sense of urgency, in the general direction of the room where I was now to head towards. Based on the look in her eyes, had she not been doing those movements, I would have hazarded a guess that she desperately needed to pee.

The guy who actually cut my hair did a very good job. The problem was, he KNEW he would do a very good job. This made him arrogant. Very patronisingly, he threw a volley of questions at me, the answers of which were almost always embarassing. Stuff about hair fall, oily hair and the like. I shall not bore you with the details. Suffice it to say that he made me feel the smallest I have almost ever felt.

I was made to exit the premises hurriedly once I had handed over the money, on the pretext that many people were waiting. I promised myself not to go back there for the next three years. At least.

10 comments:

Espèra said...

Where did you go?

thegirlwithoneheart said...

Some place in Green Park. I dunno if I should say the name. I might get in trouble! Or would I?

It's called Meghna.
Sigh...so much for diplomacy =D

Monkey With Keyboard said...

Haha. I once went to Geetanjali (a few shops away from Meghna). I told the guy to cut my hair "not too short". He gave me a boycut.

On the bright side, they blow-dry and straighten it too. But to extract value for money I have to avoid washing it for a week.

[Btw, what's the difference between criticism and libel?]

blog.sahil.me said...

Hahaha. You should see what they're like in men's barber salons (?) They cut your hair really short no matter what you say, and they have trick mirrors there so you only notice once you get back home :P

@Nyx: Criticism is not necessarily negative?

thegirlwithoneheart said...

@Nyx: Yeah, I debated going there myself. It's supposed to be the slightly better version of Meghna. Though after reading your comment, I'm starting to have doubts about that =D

My guy did the opposite of straightening my hair. He made it so wavy and curly I looked like Diana Ross. So I had to come back and shampoo just so that people would recognise me. Two shampoos in a day, that's what I call value for money =P

Criticism is given in a more transient form, normally speech. Libel is when you're criticizing someone in a mire permanent and fixed form, like writing. Very minor difference, but there it is.

thegirlwithoneheart said...

@Sahil: Hahaha. I feel for you, dude =D

Espèra said...

Ohh. I go to Geetanjali too! Or, I went once.:P
The last time I got a haircut, that is. It was good. the guy had the patience to run me thru hairstyle magazines n find one that would be easy to take care of. He straightened my hair and I was so happy I'd have this kind of hair. But the very next time I washed it, it went back to being frizzy.:P

thegirlwithoneheart said...

Oh yeah, he did that for me too. Last time, that is. This time I knew exactly what I wanted.
I know, it feels so nice when they make your hair look all awesome, even if you know it won't last. It's like a shortlived fairy tale =D

Sam said...

Nice blog!

Have I read you on another blog?

thegirlwithoneheart said...

@Sam: Thank you!

Nope, I've never had a blog before. But yes, I comment frequently on other people's blogs. You must have seen me on Espera's blog. I've been reading that one since the past coupla years, I think =D